Tuesday 19 August 2014

Where did I go?

You might have noticed that I dropped off the radar for a little while there. Well, those of you who have been paying attention will already know that this was because I spent three weeks waking up at 7am and suffering delayed trains, rainy days with very non-waterproof sound equipment, and lots and lots of walking around with cameras, as part of a film making course run by the Prince's Trust.

It was Jess who found out about it but I decided to tag along and I'm really glad I did. We had a really great time (despite all the train delays!) and we learnt a lot about film making. There were twelve of us on the course with four instructors helping out and together we've made a series of short films about Plymouth, exploring the new branding of it as Britain's Ocean City. Some of these short films have been put together to make a longer short film, which we already know will be shown at at least one film festival in the South West, and the shorter individual films are currently being shown on the big screen in Plymouth city centre, in between the regular programming, for the rest of the summer. It's all very exciting.

As well as learning a lot about film making, I also met some lovely people on the course, and got to talk to some incredibly interesting people as part of our interviews for the film. My mum is from Plymouth and I went to uni there and lived there for those three years so I sort of thought I knew it, but I've actually learnt a lot more about the city from doing this project. Maybe the people of Plymouth will learn a little more about their own city too when they see our films on the big screen.

I would probably be okay with never going to the fish market again though if I'm honest.

Anyway, if you're interested, here's the full film (It's only 22 minutes.)


And here are a couple of the shorter films that Jess and I made together (these are less than 2 minutes each.) I just want the record to show that Jess was responsible for naming these two films.



So this is what I spent those three weeks doing with all those lovely people and this is the city I studied in. Let me know what you think!

Follow me on bloglovin'!

2 comments: